Saturday, October 22, 2011

Still Loving the CSA


This is year two of participating in the local Community Supported Agriculture program from OZ Farm. I wrote last year about our CSA and shared some photos of the bounty.

When I went to pick up our CSA box yesterday, I was overcome by a sense of gratitude when I opened the box. It was packed full of so many wonderful things. I was feeling thankful for the farmers who worked to produce the veggies and for the right natural balance that needs to happen for the productivity to occur: rich soil, sun, and rain.

It's too easy to be disconnected from our food. I love knowing I can go to the Farmers' Market and talk to the actual people that are growing, picking and prepping my weekly CSA box. Dirt under their nails, sun-glow skin and all.

This week we got a spaghetti squash, Brussels sprouts, fingerling potatoes, herbs, braising greens, kale, chard, salad mix and cinnamon heirloom apples.

I roasted the potatoes with some garlic salt, pepper, and Italian spice blend with olive oil.  Brussels sprouts just get a little olive oil and salt/pepper. The chard went into our morning eggs and I will probably do stir fry dishes with the kale and braising greens.  The spaghetti squash is also roasted and I will probably incorporate it into a few dishes. It's fun to try new recipes or tweak the old ones to incorporate the weekly CSA goodies.


Potatoes and sprouts waiting to go in the oven.

Spaghetti squash out of the oven. Sweet goodness!


No comments: