Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Feeling Bookish

Since today is International Literacy Day, I thought I would write a bit about libraries!

In our old neighborhood of Ocean Beach, we lived within a few miles of two branch libraries: the charm-filled OB library and the fancier Hervey Point Loma branch. Even before we moved up here, one of the first things I looked into was the location of the closest library. Well, I was pretty excited to see that there was a Bookmobile that stopped by The Sea Ranch every other Wednesday. I fondly remembered the old Napa Bookmobile that would come to the elementary school.

The Mendocino County Library Bookmobile, which is also known as the Mobile Branch of the library, still makes me as giddy and happy as when I was an elementary schooler. I am not sure if it's the novelty of a bus/motor home that has been tricked out for a new purpose (the bloodmobile is equally intriguing to me), or if it's the possibility of all those free books to read.

Bookmobile ... with a nice ocean view.
Anyway, today was Bookmobile Wednesday so I made my trek over to the rec center to see what my catch my eye. This week I checked out Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers and The Bullfighter Checks Her Makeup. Dave is the Bookmobile driver and also handles the returns and check outs from two separate laptops that sit on tiny counters behind the driver's seat. The topic of the day was that the Bookmobile was broken into over the Labor Day weekend. The vandals did not touch the books, but rather, grabbed some of Dave's CDs he listens to on the long Bookmobile routes and a few other non-book related items. Bummer.

In addition to the Bookmobile, there is an honor system library at The Sea Ranch. This library is open every day and has three small rooms with all types of books for borrowing. No library cards, no librarians, you just borrow what you want and return in two weeks. It's entirely volunteer run and all the books are donated. There are also puzzles and board games that can be borrowed. Books and board games ... seriously, I may have died and gone to heaven.

The Sea Ranch Library
Finally, I am always looking for great book recommendations. What are you reading these days? I try to use the weRead (Books iRead) feature on Facebook to track what I have read and also what I want to read. It's an easy way to see what your Facebook friends are reading and vice versa. Anyway, happy International Literacy Day to you all ... now go read something!

No comments: