Thursday, November 24, 2011

Handmade for the Holidays - Bringing you a Week of Etsy


The holidays are here ... hooray. Of course, this means many of us will be undertaking the task of gift shopping for friends and family.

I encourage you all to shop local, and support your local mom and pop merchants. As the daughter of a retired shop owner, I know that the holiday season can make or break a small retailer. A heavy ringing of the register in December will ensure that the shop can carry itself through the lean January and February retail landscape.


I also want to encourage you to support handmade craft vendors. I am a big fan of Etsy and have found all manner of delightful handmade goods for myself and to give as gifts over the years. If you are not familiar with Etsy, you can think of it as a giant online craft fair. The primary focus at Etsy is on hand crafted goods, with a few vintage items thrown in the mix.

For the next week, starting tomorrow, I am going to feature some fun gift options that can be found at Etsy. Each day, starting tomorrow, I will post five to ten gift ideas in each category. The goal is to feature some great artisans and crafters and to get you to consider supporting their work ... and no, I do not get any sort of kick back if you buy from these people, or anyone else on Etsy. This is just my way of encouraging handmade for the holidays.

Here is the line up. I hope you will check back each day to see what I have for you!

November 25 - Gifts for the Home
November 26 - Gifts for Him
November 27 - Gifts for Her
November 28 - Gifts for Travelers and Map Geeks
November 29 - Gifts for Kids
November 30 - Gifts for Pets
December 1 - Gifts for Your Sweetie

1 comment:

The Nurturing Pirate said...

Loving these posts Sophia! I love Etsy, but I find it a bit overwhelming wading through the choices. So I love that you've done that for me! Already I've found a few ideas for those hard-to-shop-for people on my list. Thanks!