Saturday, December 4, 2010

#31 - Make a Dutch Baby Pancake

Ever since I saw a photo of my friend Carol and her daughter holding this huge puffy breakfast pancake thing in a photo, I said "I've got to make one of those." It was called a dutch baby pancake (sometimes referred to as a German pancake). Heck, the name alone holds so much cuteness, how could you not want to make one?

I figured it had to be complicated ... since it puffed to such incredible heights.  Well, it ended up being pretty much the opposite ... it was easy! I decided to make a small one in a pie plate, and it turned out just fine! Just takes some flour, egg, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and butter. You finish it off with a little lemon and powdered sugar. I used this recipe (2 to 4 serving size).



We topped it with a warm apple/butter/sugar/cinnamon mixture. Yum. Next time we have visitors, I plan to up the ante and make one that is larger. However, in the mean time, I will say I have successfully made a Dutch Baby pancake. For now, I am crossing it off the list!

No comments: